Thursday, May 15, 2008

Something is rotten in Anbar

Recently we noticed that violence in Anbar was on the upswing and Americans in the province had started taking casualties again, after several restive months.

I have been dreading this day, but I have also known it was coming. It simply stood to reason. As a last-ditch effort, a deal was made with the devil, in spite of the smell of sulfur hanging in the air to serve as a warning, and arms and ammo began to flow to our newly-rented allies.

Then tonight I saw the news on CNN that a suicide bomber struck a funeral for a community leader in Abu Ghraib (the village, not the prison) killing at least 22 and wounding forty more. (No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, so speculating at this point would amount to little more than mental masturbation, and that and four bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

I am afraid that this return to violence is an ominous portent of things to come.

I hope I'm wrong
, but my track record on these issues doesn't give me a bit of reason to think I would suddenly stop being right at this point in time.

No comments: