Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Thirty Months for Scooter

Linked at the Salon Blog Report, Blogging from the Left

05 June 2007


And a $250,000 fine.

"Evidence in this case overwhelmingly indicated Mr. Libby's culpability," U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton said moments before he handed out the sentence. The judge said he was sentencing Libby "with a sense of sadness. I have the highest respect for people who take positions in our government and appreciate tremendously efforts they bring to bear to protect this country."

At the same time, Walton said, "I also think it is important we expect and demand a lot from people who put themselves in those positions. Mr. Libby failed to meet the bar. For whatever reason, he got off course."

Just before Walton pronounced the sentence, Libby briefly appealed to the judge. After thanking Walton for the court's courtesy and kindness during the lengthy proceedings, Libby said: "It is respectfully my hope that the court will consider along with the jury verdict my whole life. Thank you your honor."

As you know, I was pulling for an application of the gallows, but I’ll take what I can get. As far as I am concerned, I don’t care if you are Mother-freakin’-Theresa – if you commit treason – or the obstruction of justice that prevents a charge of treason from being brought – then you deserve to feel the floor give way beneath you.

Libby spat in the face of the Constitution, and I have made it very clear in the past that the Constitution is the one thing, outside my family, that I would fight and die for with not a moment of hesitation.

No comments: