Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Because Taking Away Rights is What They're All About

Update--From ThinkProgress.org

Huckabee flip-flops on birthright citizenship. Yesterday, the Washington Times reported that former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee would “amend the Constitution to prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizen.” The paper relied on Minutemen founder James Gilchrist for it’s scoop, but Huckabee disputed the claim, saying he had “no intention” of denying the right of “birthright citizenship.” But the Times reports today that Huckabee told it in August that he “would support changing” birthright citizenship:

But he previously had taken a position in an interview with The Times on his campaign bus in Iowa in August.

“I would support changing that. I think there is reason to revisit that, just because a person, through sheer chance of geography, happened to be physically here at the point of birth, doesn’t necessarily constitute citizenship,” he said at the time, according to the audiotape of the interview. “I think that’s a very reasonable thing to do, to revisit that.”


Birthright citizenship is explicitly laid out in the 14th amendment, which begins, “All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States.”



The Moonie Times has a little blurb about what Mike Huckabee is willing to say in order to get elected:

Mike Huckabee wants to amend the Constitution to prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizens, according to his top immigration surrogate — a radical step no other major presidential candidate has embraced.
Mr. Huckabee, who won last week's Republican Iowa caucuses, promised Minuteman Project founder James Gilchrist that he would force a test case to the Supreme Court to challenge birthright citizenship, and would push Congress to pass a 28th Amendment to the Constitution to remove any doubt.


Brilliant! Every time a Republican runs for office, they do so by claiming that they want to "amend" the Constitution to take away rights from the American people. This is a brilliant strategy, one that should guarantee a generation of Republicans at least 33% of the total vote in future elections.

Just some background on the people who are supporting Huckabee--the Minutemen--their website has interesting articles like this one, by a "protected" writer:

-------------------
Citizens Being Silenced - Illegal Aliens Trying To Sew Our Months Shut!
Saturday, December 22, 2007 - Silenced Writer

From: deleted to protect writer
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 4:26 PM
Subject: illegal immigrant harassment
Dear Minuteman Project:



I am a [housewife and concerned neighbor] who just moved to the Glendale, Arizona area and moved into my apartment without the opportunity of checking the area out first.

My next door neighbors consist of what appears to be at least 12 non-English speaking Mexican nationals [witches? Magical Spell Casting Fairies?] living in a small 2 bedroom apartment. Some drive inconsistent vehicles and there is a constant flow of traffic all day. They all appear to either stay home all day or leave in shifts or constantly go in and out the door to the front of their patio all evening long. Sometimes there are up to 8 cars parked for that one apartment. They seem to change up vehicles sometimes. [Is this magic?]

Even though I have never said anything to them, especially when they play super loud Mexican fiesta music, they constantly harass me by throwing trash in my yard, knocking on my door all times of the night, slamming doors, shocking me with floor thumping when I try to sleep. This happens on a daily basis. [Plus, I can't get any vacuuming done.]

I live alone and do not have family nearby. [My husband always claims I'm seeing things! Bah!] I have never done anything to them. I have always been against illegal immigration and now I know why. The latest wave of immigrants is trying to take over and claim this country as their territory. They are ignorant, rude, and jealous of Americans who are legal. They are not interested in assimilation like the older wave of immigrants who just wanted to work hard and try to make it.

I just wanted to know if you or someone associated with your organization could share some advice for me. [I am desperately in need of someone to pay attention to me]

Even though they stare at me and act as though they dare me to come out when they do something, I do not know if the police would be able to stop them from terrorizing me unless they physically assault me, which I would like to prevent because I am afraid of that.

If someone can help me, refer me or give me advice, I would be forever grateful, At the end of my rope! [I can't watch them as much as I would like, what with my blackouts.]

My lease will be up in the near future and I am moving, but don't know what to do until then as they are causing me unwarranted aggravation and discomfort every single day. It's bad enough that I can't be with my family at Christmas but instead with this.

XX [Mrs Kravitz],
Glendale, Arizona
-------------------

You know, if Mike Huckabee wants to permanently link the Republican Party to this freak show, I'm all for it.


No comments: