Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hmmm...

I am not sure what to make of this. My daughter - who is recently divorced and in a professional program - for whom we acquired a unit in our building so we can be nearby to help with the childrearing and see it gets done right - introduced us to the guy she has seen a few times a couple of hours ago.

Seems nice enough. Smart guy - gets Voltaire and DesCartes jokes, can discuss Sartre and de Bevoire, has the appropriate level of outrage for the government we have while still believing that good government is possible, if you have something approximating good governance. He's a Jedi looking dude and when the inevitable "what do you do" was asked, he responded that he is a Systems Anarchist. I smiled to myself, and her dad kicked me under the table.

He has read the Federalist Papers and can discuss them, and he has read the books of E.O. Wilson and can hold forth on them, too. I couldn't even trip him up with a Charlotte Perkins Gilman reference. Hell, I mentioned Stephen Gould and he said the two magic words...Punctuated Equilibrium. In short, every single thing he said was right. Every single thing that came out of his mouth was smart and sharp and often times snarky. It was the kind of interaction I wanted desperately to have with her ex husband, but he simply wasn't capable of having.

But the second I laid eyes on him, this song started playing in my head.

No comments: