Thursday, March 10, 2016

So Long, Facebook

It has been a long time coming, but I’m finally there.

It was great at first. It was a way to keep in touch with friends and relatives who are not in close proximity. It let me keep up with the day-to-day lives of people I care about who are scattered all over the globe.  It let me be there for my niece’s prom even though I was 500 miles away. It let me be there for the wedding of one of my bonus-kids even though I was over a thousand miles away. It let me chat with former colleagues and neighbors almost as if we still shared a backyard fence.

Then a couple of years ago I started noticing that there was a harsh and unforgiving side to the medium. I would share a meme, and no matter what I said about it, I would get attacked, or, even worse, be on the receiving end of some passive-aggressive bullshit that would make me want to reach through the screen and slap the taste out of some jerk’s mouth.

Over the weekend it happened again…I shared a meme about Colin Powell reaffirming that Hillary didn’t do anything wrong when she set up a private server, because he had followed the same protocol when he was the Secretary of State, and I made the observation that he would of course feel that way, because stating otherwise would put him in the jackpot because he did the same thing. I believe I also said something about stopped clocks being right twice a day.

If you only read the comments, specifically those of one individual, you could be forgiven for thinking I had gone completely over to the dark side and placed a Presidential Medal of Freedom around his neck my damned self. When I pointed out that I didn’t make the meme, I just shared it, well you would have thought I had zealously defended Satan himself in a courtroom at Vatican City.
That was the final straw.

Anyone interested in what I have to say can read it here. I haven’t deleted the account, because I have to be the Facebook smartass for the Washington Monthly on the weekends, but I can almost guarantee you won’t see me over there posting as myself. Besides, I got tired of pictures of food and LOL cats a long time ago.

No comments: