Friday, April 18, 2008

If there's a rock-n-roll heaven...

They just added a hell of a keyboardist to the band.

Danny Federici, the keyboardist for Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, lost his three year battle with melanoma last night, passing away at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. He was 58.

His death was announced late last night on the bands website. "Danny and I worked together for 40 years — he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much ... we grew up together," Springsteen said in the statement.

Indeed - his organ fills defined the E Street sound.

As my heart is breaking right now, I will save the maudlin words and the tears and let his music take over from here...Three of my all-time favorites - which probably tells you quite a bit about me - and if little brother has anything to add, he should feel free.

Hungry Heart




Thunder Road



And my all-time favorite...
Racing in the Streets



(But then, I'm the chick who knows from personal experience that you torque the headbolts on a 351 Cleveland to 110 psi - and at least back then, I had that much strength in my right arm...)

No comments: