Monday, March 31, 2008

High Winds Advisory for KC

Jeez the wind is howling, especially up here on the top of Signal Hill. Twice my lights have flickered in this glorious hundred-year-old walkup, and twice I have lost work; so I am employing my training and changing tactics - I'm going to refer to some of these GAO reports in my inbox and do my writing in a word processor, and checking in periodically.

For the record, I have a bone to pick with folklore - the wind blew like this on the first day of the month, too. We had our "in like a lion" moment, I want my "out like a lamb," damnit!

From the Kansas City Star:

The National Weather Service has issued a wind advisory for the Kansas City area.

The wind advisory went into effect around 7 a.m. after wind gusts of more than 55 mph were reported in Olathe, said Mark O’Malley, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Pleasant Hill.

O’Malley said wind gusts ranging from 35 to 50 mph are expected to blow through the metro area this morning. After they subside, a strong thunderstorm is expected to hit the area this afternoon.

O’Malley said people need to be aware that strong winds can knock down power lines and cause power outages. Anyone who sees a downed power line should contact their local utility immediately.

In Osage County, Kan., south of Topeka, winds tore off part of the roof of Lyndon High School, so officials sent students home at 8:30 a.m. so they could assess the extent of damage.

Flooding was reported in Labette in southeast Kansas.

No comments: