Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Fourth, From My Balcony

I live just up the hill, about six blocks from the
Liberty Memorial.
Located where I am,
I did not brave the madding crowd.
Instead I went to my patio with my digital camera
and a pitcher of mimosas, and enjoyed the brass band
and the fireworks show from my perch above the city.


Happy Fourth, everyone.

They knew how to deal with a feckless tyrant in 1776.
Are we worthy descendants,
or simpering wimps deserving of the boot on our neck?












The evening was closed with the ringing of bells, and at night there was a grand exhibition of fireworks, which began and concluded with thirteen rockets on the commons, and the city was beautifully illuminated. Every thing was conducted with the greatest order and decorum, and the face of joy and gladness was universal. Thus may the 4th of July, that glorious and ever memorable day, be celebrated through America, by the sons of freedom, from age to age till time shall be no more. Amen, and amen (Virginia Gazette, 18 July 1777).

No comments: