Tuesday, May 1, 2007

I wonder what Buckley thinks of this?

I met Bill Buckley once. He was the guest of honor at the Mortar Board breakfast at Wichita State University in January of 1986. I had made the high Deans list the semester before so I had an automatic invite.

Buckley might be a Conservative but he isn’t insane and he has a penchant for protecting Civil Liberties. I wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity to talk to him and we had a nice discussion about the absurdity of America’s War on Drugs. I’m sure I walked away thinking I had been brilliant and he would never forget me. Such is the arrogance of youth…

Still…The man I had breakfast with 21 years ago must be deeply disturbed by this comment by Thomas Sowell in the pages of the magazine that he founded on bedrock conservative principles.

When I see the worsening degeneracy in our politicians, our media, our educators, and our intelligentsia, I can't help wondering if the day may yet come when the only thing that can save this country is a military coup.

Seriously – are the Conservatives so afraid of facing their demons and fixing what went wrong with their revolution, that they would sign on to a coup if it meant clinging to an illusion of power??? Seriously?!?!?

I so hope Buckley comments on this…

No comments: