Saturday, April 28, 2007

Rock on, irreverently...

I've had this song stuck in my head all day. There is only one remedy for that affliction - I have to pass it on!

Here's to you, John Peel...You rocked us all, and I am so bloody glad I grew up a brat and heard BBC 1 during my formative years. While my friends and cousins stateside were listening to Casey Kasem and America's Top 40 - I was getting my socks rocked by John Peel on BBC Radio 1.

When I deplaned in 1979 in Chicago, for my summer visit with the cousins, I was sporting black spikey hair and a nose ring. (This made me look exactly like a vampire, as I am a natural redhead and the Whitest Woman in the World™). The nose-ring was, like, 20 years early, and I really got some strange looks that summer in small-town Iowa. Which I totally got off on, of course.

I was so changed in the six months that had passed since Christmas that my auntie didn't recognize me and I do believe I have actually witnessed an attack of the vapors.

But TMI already! Besides, you don't care about any of that anyway...so turn the volume up and enjoy the

Best. Bloody. Song. Ever. Recorded!!!

At least a lot of people my age will agree with that sentiment.

And remember, it doesn't count unless you play this one twice...

No comments: