Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thank You, Senator Bond

On April 3, I took Senator Bond to task for not signing on as a cosponsor of Senator Webb's G.I. Bill legislation that was introduced in January 2007.

On April 7, Senator Bond signed on as a cosponsor, bringing the number of Senators sponsoring the legislation to 52, still eight short of being able to overcome obstructionism by republicans in the upper chamber.

Thank you, Senator, for doing the right thing. I may disagree with a lot of Kit Bond's political philosophy - I am a died-in-the-wool liberal in the Truman tradition, and he is a belt-and-suspenders business republican. But there are plenty of areas where I can find common ground with my republican senator - especially where military and veterans issues are concerned - and that's a start. Call me naive and dewey-eyed, but I believe in my heart of hearts that when the final score is settled, we pretty much want the same things - we both want what is best for our nation and our state; and those who step up and volunteer to serve are far and away more important than scoring a few political points.

No comments: