Sunday, February 17, 2008

Fundraiser Update

I was humbled and gratified by the response to the fundraiser we had a couple of weeks ago. We exceeded our goal, so I did the liberal thing - I set aside some of the money donated in what I have been alternately calling the “Share the Love Fund” and the “Pay it Forward Fund.”

Well, I paid some of that love forward a couple of days ago. My friend Edger is in a position where a few bucks mean a lot right now, so it was a no-brainer that I should throw a donation in the hat, once I managed to talk him into passing it.

Edger, in case you don’t know, has been a true blessing to the left blogosphere. He has literally done the coding to bring my visions to fruition for every single blog I post on, including this one. I don’t even strain my brain when I have trouble beating a template into submission or getting something to appear the way I want it to. I just turn to Edger, and he makes it happen. Promptly.

Here is the deal - even with health coverage, you can’t get sick. Last summer, my friend had a failing kidney removed, and in spite of having benefits, they were exhausted before he was released to return to work. Now he is back at work, but in the time between exhausting his bennies and returning to the work force, he lost a lot of ground economically and is quite frankly barely treading water.

He has a “donate” button up over at the Out of Iraq Bloggers Caucus central blog, and at his own place (which he has neglected lately because OOIBC has grown so much and so rapidly that it takes most of his blogging time now that he is back in the workforce).

Blogtopia™ (y! sctp!) has one truly great strength - our ability to shape and develop and redefine “community.” Edger is a part of my community. As such, I am happy to acknowledge his contributions to the greater left blogosphere community by helping out a bit when he is in need, and spreading the word so people who are in a position to help out know that the help is needed and where to send it.

And hey - if you happen to need a website designed, let us know - we do that sort of thing together, heck, we have actually done paying projects and have references! He would much rather earn it than accept it…but the bottom line is, he needs it right now.

Thanks,

BG

No comments: