Saturday, November 10, 2007

Throw Momma Under the Straight Talk Express

I come across a LOT of this kind of thing when I'm commenting or reading blogs. If someone doesn't have Daddy issues, they have Mommy issues.

Now, I'm not going to get into the science of this. The Blue Girl, she knows science. Me? "Science!" is something someone yells in a Thomas Dolby song. I don't know if Arizona Senator John McCain has issues with his Daddy or his Mommy. Even a man of advanced age can have them. And if anyone had a lot to live up to in the Daddy department, it would be McCain, what with his already well-documented lineage. I believe his grandfather was one of the last Admirals to be relieved of command in World War II--something like that. Admittedly, I don't have a vast command of knowledge about McCain or particularly care for him as a politician. It's not Republican vs Democrat. (I am a Democrat but there are occasionally Republicans who ARE NOT sexual deviants or full blown insane criminal gangsters to admire).

John McCain is a crook. Sorry, kids. He was, and will always be, one of the Keating 5. Look it up sometime.

John McCain has an undeserved reputation as a maverick. That is largely an invention of a sympathetic Washington DC reporter/media/pundit class that has no connection to the reality you and I know.

John McCain has never stood up for what's right during this war. He's never said or done anything that could be construed as trying to do the right thing or taken this administration to task in a substantive way. Every carefully worded statement has been designed to appeal to the Republican Primary Voters which, if polling is to be believed, have already rejected him outright long before the actual primaries are to be held.

Now, today, we see that John McCain's mother has had something to say about equally ridiculous Mitt Romney:

[I won't link to Breitbart.com]
MEREDITH, N.H. (AP) - John McCain's 95-year-old mother, in a swipe at her son's rival Mitt Romney, said Friday that Mormons were to blame for the scandal that rocked the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.
During an appearance on MSNBC, Roberta McCain laid out why her son, John, deserves to win the Republican presidential nomination. But in evaluating McCain's primary rivals, she criticized Romney's Mormon faith and his time in
Salt Lake City.

"As far as the Salt Lake City thing, he's a Mormon and the Mormons of Salt Lake City had caused that scandal. And to clean that up, again, it's not a subject," Roberta McCain said.

John McCain quickly stepped in: "The views of my mothers are not necessarily the views of mine."

I find this astonishing on so many different levels. Dead center at the top of this blog is the slogan "Coexist," which expresses a sentiment of religious tolerance that is sorely lacking in the modern day discourse in this country. So, first of all, to the folks who call themselves Mormons--whoa. Ya'll must be a tad bit pissed at this kind of thing. I understand how you might feel. But she's 95. I suspect she might deserve to get a pass for saying something like that, which is obviously insensitive and wrong. People of that age tend to express things of that nature. Of course her views aren't your views--why did you need to say that? She's 95 and she just said something that, to be completely fair, shouldn't be held against McCain at all. It would be wrong to think that McCain is 100% of the same mind as his own mother--no one is 100% of the same mind as their mother.

Second of all, there are a lot of reasons to not want to support Mitt Romney. He is a perfect example of the modern politician who will say or do anything to get elected. It must be the haircut--otherwise, how else to explain how the man ever got elected to anything in the first place.

Third--and I know I'm seriously burying the lede here--what is up with John McCain throwing his mother under the bus like that in public? Notice how quickly he cuts her off. Why not just come out and say it, dude--

Wow! I didn't know my mom was going to say something THAT stupid. Okay, Mom--you're going back on the meds!

Can America really elect a man who would do that to his mother? If my mother said something like that, I'd cringe. I'd wince. I would definitely make it known that I didn't agree with her. But I wouldn't jump on her and try to silence her and humiliate her like that.

You know, you're not human unless you've been embarrassed by your mother. This is a true story--when I was five years old, a horse kicked me with both hind legs, square in the chest, and threw me into the air a good ten feet. And it didn't hurt me a bit. It did leave me with two horseshoe imprints on my chest. And for weeks afterward, no matter where we went, my mother would pull up my shirt and show everyone the horseshoes on my chest.

What are you gonna do?

Well, if you're John McCain, and you're already a freaked out putz who is terrified of being humiliated in the Republican Presidential primary, you jump on your mother in a televised interview and you humiliate her and make her look bad.

Sometimes, you just have to sit there and smile nervously.

No comments: