Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Further thoughts on the "Betray-Us" ad

I first heard it from an active duty soldier, about an hour after he took the billet. But that is not the point. I think it was stupid, and I said so. But that isn't the point, either.

I am hearing Norm Coleman make hay from it, just as that wingnut congresswoman from Florida did yesterday.

That set me to wondering about something...

How offended were they when Senator Kerry was swift-boated? War hero and triple-amputee Max Cleland was smeared by the smarmy Saxby Chambliss by equating him with Osama bin Laden. How offended were the wingnuts then? They accept the rodent Chambliss as their equal.

Hell - how did they react to those of us who disagreed with them before the war? They called us unpatriotic, they called us traitors, they called us unamerican and told us to get out of the country even though we had served in greater numbers. (The right to free speech that so many on our side had served to uphold doesn't guarantee that everything said will be smart, or even true. It is up to the listener to make those judgements.)

But I digress...Anyone - and I do mean anyone - bleating about being offended now, by that ad, better be able to point to a full-throated denunciation of scurrilous attacks that went the other way. Sauce for the goose being sauce for the gander, and all that.

No comments: