Thursday, May 8, 2008

Wow! A heterosexual republican sex scandal!

It turns out that last weeks drunk-driving arrest was just the tip of the iceberg for New York republican congressman Vito Fossella.

The married congressman and father of three originally told the officers who arrested him for driving under the influence (he was drunk twice over) that he was on his way to pick up his daughter - and the address he gave was for a retired female military officer, Lt. Colonel Laura Fay - not the address of the home he shares with his wife and three daughters.

Ms. Fay was the one who picked him up at the police station when he was released at 8:00 a.m. the following morning.

Later, when the press asked if he was the father of Ms. Fay's three year old daughter, the response was indignant - why they wouldn't even entertain the notion of answering such a rude and preposterous question!

Well what a difference a week makes. Today he is 'fessing up - he is indeed the baby daddy, and he chewed the scenery when he came clean:
My personal failings and imperfections have caused enormous pain to the people I love and I am truly sorry,” Fossella said in the statement.

“While I understand that there will be many questions, including those about my political future, making any political decisions right now are furthest from my mind,” the lawmaker, who was arrested for drunk driving last week, said. “Over the coming weeks and months, I will to continue to do my job and I will work hard to heal the deep wounds I have caused.”

They all say some version of that, don't they?

Vito, I beg you, from the bottom of my Democratic heart...please don't resign. In fact, I think you should run again. I think you can turn this to your advantage even. Oh yes, you can beat this thing. I have the utmost confidence...In fact, as soon as you announce your reelection bid, I am sending your campaign the largest contribution I can afford. /snark/

No comments: